Patriot League: Bucknell men's basketball head coach Dave Paulsen hired away to George Mason

Bucknell University, one of the most dominant Patriot League powers, got a little weaker Monday, March 30, as reigning Coach of the Year Dave Paulsen was announced as the new George Mason University men’s basketball head coach.

Paulsen spent seven seasons at Bucknell, winning two Patriot League championships as well as four regular season crowns. Under Paulsen, the Bison went 134-94 (.588) and 75-34 (.688) in conference play. Along the way, Paulsen also picked up three Coach of the Year awards including two consecutively in 2011 and 2012.

Paulsen was relentless against AU, owning a 11-3 record against the Eagles. At one time the Bison held an eight game winning streak over the Eagles that spanned five years.

Former AU head coach Jeff Jones was 2-8 against Paulsen. Current head coach Mike Brennan hasn’t fared well against Paulsen either, going 1-3 in his two years leading the Eagles.

“Coach Paulsen will do a great job in his new position as the head coach of George Mason in nearby Fairfax, Va." said Brennan. "I'm glad I don't have to play his teams at least twice a season anymore."

Even without Paulsen, Bucknell will still be a threat in the Patriot League. The Bison boost one of the more talented and experienced rosters in the Patriot League, returning four of the team’s top five players in minutes played.

Bucknell will be lead by First-Team All-Patriot League selection, junior guard Chris Hass and All-Rookie selection center Nana Foulland. Hass ranked third in the Patriot League in points per game, notching on average 16 points a night. Foulland quickly emerged as a dynamic force capable of playing on both sides of the court, averaging 10.2 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game.

However, the Bison will lose key contributing seniors, guards Steven Kaspar and Cory Starkey and forward Joshea Singleton. The Bison will miss Kaspar, the team’s top assist man and playmaker. Throughout his career, Kaspar found the open man and dished out the perfect pass. Even in his last game in a Bucknell uniform, Kaspar led the game in assists with six while only playing a little over half the game. Starkey started 12 of 34 games while logging 563 minutes and finished the season second in rebounds with 144.

Paulsen departure also comes on the heels of two reported sophomore transfers. According to reports by D1Nation, sophomores John Azzinaro and DJ MacLeay have decided to leave the program. It is unclear if their decision to transfer was connected to Paulsen’s departure. Azzinaro averaged 16.6 minutes per game and was one of the three players on roster trusted to shoot a 3-point shot. With Azzinano’s departure, Hass and freshman guard J.C. Show will be the only returning shooters on the roster with more than 50 three-point attempts.

Bucknell has solid choice to hire within the program in associate head coach Dane Fischer, who was hired by Paulsen to join his staff in 2008. After spending nine total seasons under Paulsen, seven at Buckenll and two at Williams College, it is unlikely the mid-30's Fischer would follow Paulsen to another school. Fischer has excellent recruiting experience, especially for the mid-major level, with two NBA draft picks under his belt in Mike Muscala at Bucknell and Jason Thompson at Rider University.

“I am very excited about the opportunity at George Mason, but at the same time I have had a very difficult time telling the team that I was leaving. I have been so blessed to coach these student-athletes at Bucknell, and I was really looking forward to next season with such a great nucleus coming back.” said Paulsen in a press release.

jreyes@theeagleonline.com