Man of La Mancha

Theater Review: “Man of La Mancha”

From now until April 26, the Shakespeare Theatre Company will be performing the unusual and spectacular musical play, “Man of La Mancha.” This means there’s only two weeks left for audiences to head to the theatre to be inspired, have their imaginations nurtured and dream the “impossible dream.” And if that doesn’t appeal to them, they can just head there to see an unforgettable play.

Telling Don Miguel de Cervantes’ story of heroism, imagination and optimism, actors are taking to the stage as Cervantes, himself, Aldonza, Sancho and of course, the mad and lovable Don Quixote de La Mancha. In the story, Cervantes is thrown into a prison cell during the Spanish Inquisition and rallies his fellow prisoners to perform a play. In the play, an elderly gentleman becomes so enamored with old tales of honor and glory that he convinces himself that he’s a brave knight, Don Quixote. He goes forth to conquer evil and right the world of wrongs, all in the name of the “impossible dream.”

Directed by Alan Paul, “Man of La Mancha” dares audiences to dream alongside Quixote and brilliantly keeps up with major themes from Cervantes’ novel. Bouncing off the theme of imagination, the set demands the imagination of the audience and the characters, as it takes place all within the space of one prison cell, transformed with limited props into a Spanish Inn, a field of windmills and 17th century Spanish home. Expressing the theme of beauty, the use of color and lights illuminates the story of Don Quixote, even in the darkness of reality, or a prison cell.

Anthony Warlow, playing both Don Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote and Alonso Quixano (Don Quixote’s former identity), reflects the quixotic spirit that this play demands without fault. His talent in baritone singing does his songs justice, whether it’s the romantic and sweet “Dulcinea” or exciting and powerful “Man of La Mancha.” Opposite Warlow was the real shining star of the show, Amber Iman playing the part of Aldonza, Don Quixote’s lady love. A graduate of Howard University, Iman owns the role of Aldonza with her power and presence onstage, as well as remarkable vocal talent.

Without argument, this play is a ten. Four hundred years since Cervantes’ first publication, the story is still relevant to modern audiences. Alan Paul’s production inspires just as the novel was meant to at its first publication, and never falters in its vivacity and spirit. Take warning, however, as the play’s catchy songs will get stuck in your head for days. Serenading your roommate at the end of the night is a definite possibility. All in all, “Man of La Mancha” is spectacular, a definite must-see.

“Man of La Mancha” will run March 17-April 26 at the Shakespeare Theatre Company, Sidney Harman Hall, 610 F Street NW. Tickets start at $20.

dbourn@theeagleonline.com