Nutella

Getting baked with Heather: Nutella and strawberry crescent rolls

​The Eagle's former editor-in-chief outlines one of her tastiest recipes.

Former editor-in-chief Heather Mongilio has a lot of free time now that she is no longer leading The Eagle staff. To fill up the vast amount of time in between her classes, she will share the recipes she made for The Eagle staff in a new column.

The Eagle staff was pretty easy to please in terms of baked goods. The one treat The Eagle staff especially enjoyed were crescent rolls stuffed with Nutella and strawberries. This recipe is super easy to make, but it will surely satisfy any group. Set aside about 30 minutes and prepare to get a little messy for this crowd pleaser.

Nutella and strawberry crescent rolls

What you’ll need:

• Pillsbury crescent rolls (each cannister makes eight rolls, and I suggest buying the larger crescent rolls as you can stuff more ingredients into them)
  • Strawberries
  • A jar of Nutella
  • Cookie sheet

How to make the rolls:

1. Make sure you have a clean surface. You’ll get messy, so don’t wear your favorite spring dress or shirt.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

3. Wash and cut strawberries. You want to slice the strawberry vertically, cutting it into about four or five slices.

The finished rolls. Photo by Heather Mongilio/The Eagle.

4. Spread out a crescent roll on a cookie sheet. Each cookie sheet can hold the contents of one can of crescent rolls. The crescent will look like an elongated triangle.

5. Use a knife to spread Nutella on the rolled out crescent roll dough. Use as much Nutella as you want.

6. Place the strawberry slices on the Nutella. You can fit about seven slices in the larger crescent rolls and about four on the smaller rolls.

7. Roll up the crescent by rolling the two corners at the top of the triangle toward the tip. It should be loosely rolled so that strawberries and Nutella stay inside. A few strawberries may fall out. Put them back in once the crescent is rolled up (or treat yourself to a strawberry slice).

8. Once all the rolls are completed, stick the tray into the oven for 15 minutes.* This is two minutes more than the can advises, but extra time is needed because of the strawberries and Nutella. The crescents should look golden when you pull them out of the oven. They will be gooey because of the Nutella. If they look undercooked, put them back in for another minute.

*Check for the time on the canister of the crescent rolls, as the time varies between the smaller and larger crescent rolls. Add about two minutes to the time on the can.

9. Let the rolls cool on the tray for about five minutes, and then move them to a cooling rack. You can either eat them hot and gooey or let them cool down.

Enjoy devouring one of The Eagle’s favorite desserts!

hmongilio@theeagleonline.com