Women’s Basketball cruises to 74-58 win over Lafayette

The Eagles, led by their senior class, racked up a crucial league win against Lafayette this past weekend.

Picking up their fourth win in a row, the Eagles improved to 17-8 overall (12-2 in Patriot League play) and maintained a one game lead over Army for first place in the Patriot League.

Senior forward Arron Zimmerman led the Eagles with a team-high 16 points, shooting 6-for-7 from the field, while going 4-for-5 from downtown. Senior guard Jen Dumiak contributed a double-double with 15 points and 11 assists.

An early 13-1 run gave the Eagles a 21-8 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the first half, and they never looked back, leading in double figures for the remainder of the game. Strong shooting and passing increased the Eagles’ lead to 26 with a little over 10 minutes to play in the second, as Lafayette managed to convert only two field goals in that period.

The Leopards gained some momentum late in the second half against the Eagles reserves, but AU’s dominance in the first half of the game proved to be too much for Lafayette.

Team play was a key factor in Saturday’s win with the Eagles contributing 22 assists. The Eagles shot 47 percent (31-for-66) from the field, recorded a season-high nine three-pointers, and outrebounded Lafayette 44-37.

Senior forward Emily Homan led Lafayette with 24 points and 12 rebounds, while junior guard Jamie O’hare contributed 14 points. The Lafayette loss moves them to 12-13 record for the season (5-9 in Patriot League play).

The Eagles have the opportunity to build upon their momentum and their four-game win streak on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m. when they travel to Boston University to face a tough Terrier team in a key Patriot League matchup.