VDay Chocolate

Celebrate Valentine’s Day with D.C.’s finest chocolate

If no one’s going to buy chocolate for you this Valentine’s, buy it yourself.

Valentine’s Day is no longer just for the hopelessly in love. It’s a day of indulgence—whatever that may mean to you. Whether you plan on going out with your girlfriends or bros, or you decide to watch a sappy movie with your cat, V-Day is a full 24 hours of non-judgement. No matter the situation, chocolate is a priority. Luckily, D.C. has a variety of options to help satisfy your cocoa craving. From artisan truffles to a five-course tasting, one of these six spots is sure to appeal to your sweet side.

1. Max Brenner Chocolate Bar

Bethesda’s Max Brenner Chocolate Bar is a shop and café that originated in New York City. The menu features indulgences like six varieties of hot chocolate served in the store’s signature “hug mugs,” over-the-top ice cream sundaes, milk, white or dark chocolate fondue and pearl sugar waffles served with ice cream. Believe it or not, there is even  a “flask” of melted chocolate. Valentine’s doesn’t have to end at the restaurant. You can purchase take-home treats like their artisanal chocolate or a giant syringe for a decadent infusion. Max Brenner is also offering a Valentine’s Day deal, where for $40, you and your special someone can get a three-course chocolate feast—fondue, choice of one dessert special like the chocolate pizza or banana split waffle and two hot chocolates or milkshakes. True heroism is indulging in a feast for two, for one.

Metro: Bethesda

Address: 7263 Woodmont Avenue,

Bethesda, MD 20814

2. Cocova

Cocova is a chocolate boutique in Dupont Circle offering over 300 chocolate treats from around the world. The owners have dedicated their careers to finding and tasting the finest confections from around the globe. You certainly won’t find your ordinary Hershey’s bar. Sign up for chocolate tastings or truffle-making classes to achieve the ultimate expert-guided experience.

Metro: Dupont Circle on the Red Line

Address: 1904 18th Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20009

3. Coco Sala

If you’re looking for a splurge this Valentine’s Day, Coco Sala is the place to go. A luxurious restaurant, lounge and, you guessed it, chocolate boutique located in Chinatown, Coco Sala offers a full savory menu of small plates with hints of cocoa throughout. In addition to an extravagant dessert selection, you can opt for the three-course or five-course dessert experience. Or order a la carte from selections like the “chocolate onyx,” featuring dark chocolate mousse, vanilla crème brulee, crispy chocolate pears, a brownie bite, dark chocolate sorbet and a cinnamon toffee bon bon—yes, all on one plate. Then visit the adjoining chocolatier for a sweet souvenir made in-house. If anyone asks why you are eating so much chocolate, throw the deepest shade and grab a bon bon.

Metro: Metro Center, Gallery Place Chinatown on the Red Line

Address: 929 F Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20004

4. Society Fair

Society Fair is a truly unique gourmet market, restaurant and bar in Alexandria, Virginia. The market and bakery offers everything from artisan cheeses to macaroons, but you can also find a selection of locally made bon bons, truffles and chocolate bars. If you feel like staying a while, order a slice of their “BIG-Ass Chocolate Cake” to share with your date, also known as you, in the charming circus-themed dining room.

Metro: King St.-Old Town on the Blue and Yellow lines

Address: 277 South Washington St., Alexandria, VA 22314

5. Dean & Deluca

Dean & Deluca may have its reputation as an over-priced grocery store, but its bakery and chocolate selection really is worth the visit. You can find gourmet chocolates in unique flavor combinations that will forever ruin drug-store candy bars for you. The chocolates are like beautiful little presents with a variety of patterns, colors and shapes filling the candy case. Try the champagne truffles or chocolate hearts for a truly festive Valentine’s Day.

Metro: 32, 34, buses to Georgetown

Address: 3276 M Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20007

6. Godiva

Sure you can find boxes of Godiva chocolates in many big retail stores these days, but there are a couple of brick-and-mortar Godiva locations in D.C. that offer some unique treats. From special heart-shaped boxes of assorted chocolates to chocolate covered strawberries to milkshakes, there are just certain in-store finds that you can’t get anywhere else. The stores also frequently put a selection of products on sale, so you can get even more chocolate-y goodness for your money.

Metro: Union Station on the Red Line

Address: 50 Massachusetts Ave NE,

Washington, D.C, 20002

Metro: 32, 34 buses to Georgetown

Address: 3242 M St NW,

Washington, D.C. 20007