AU Wrestling Falls 32-10 to Navy

The Eagles traveled to the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland Jan. 16, but fell to the Midshipmen 32-10. Only winning three of 10 bouts, the Eagles finished behind the Mids, and their defeat marked the 10th loss to Navy out of the 11 meetings between the two teams.

AU now stands 3-2 overall and 1-2 in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA).

The Eagles came out to the roaring start winning their first two bouts. In the 125lb weight class, No.16 David Terao earned a 13-5 major decision versus Brant Leadbeter. In the 133lb weight class, freshman Josh Terao earned a 6-2 decision over Mids senior Colton Rasche.

The Mids won the next two bouts. Mid Patrick Prada overtook freshman Michael Sprague, and AU sophomore Tom Page earned a loss by a fall in the 149lb weight class in 4:41.

Team captain junior John Boyle steered the Eagles back on track, at least momentarily, with a 5-3 decision of 157-pounder Drew Daniels.

No. 13 Peyton Walsh earned the tech fall over AU’s Brad Mutchnik to begin a five-bout Mids winning streak.

Boyle and No.16 David Terao both earned their 23rd victory of the season. Although tied in total wins earned David Terao has a better winning percentage with (.884) and Boyle with (.821).

The Eagles return home Jan.18 to face No. 20 Old Dominion University.