Washington Printmakers Gallery presents a trip through history

A trip to Washington Printmakers Gallery is also a trip through history with Terry Svat’s exhibit showcasing worldly symbols and their message of communication throughout centuries.

Washington Printmakers Gallery celebrated the opening of Terry Svat’s exhibition “My 20 20 Vision - Experimental Works” on Nov. 1 in Georgetown. The display, which will be open until Nov. 30, showcases the artist's exploration of communication through symbols of deity dating from ancient South America to the symbols “1,2,3” and what they mean to the current education system.

The gallery was founded in 1985 by a group of D.C. printmakers who had a vision to inspire and educate others through their prints. Svat’s prints are a great example of their mission.

The gallery was inviting, and Svat immediately greeted everyone walking in and gave each person a private tour. Prints line the walls of the small space. Half of the room was dedicated to Svat’s artwork and her prints, filled with earthly tones and symbols ranging from ancient symbols found on stone to the symbolic nature of the Berlin Wall.

Walking through the gallery was not only artistically stimulating, but also gave a lot of historical insight on centuries past. Svat’s work brought inspiration to question what indicative symbols of our society this generation will leave behind as she explores civilizations past and the symbols and images they left behind.

Svat began her intrigue with symbols in the 1980s in South America, where she lived at that time. As she walked through the gallery, explaining each piece to the public, she explained the symbols that drove her to make her work. Her print “Deity Fragment,” showcased a godlike creature illuminated by yellow. She explained that it was inspired by a “waka,” which is artwork depicting deity figures that were often buried with ancient wealthy South Americans in their tombs. Civilizations past and present are reflected in her pieces depicting life and death.

Her work goes beyond ancient South American civilization and extends to symbols in Germany during the 1960s, in China during national disasters and into today’s world. A trip to this gallery is a great weekend activity or just a nice way to get away.

Svat’s work will be showcased at the Washington Printmakers Gallery until Nov. 30.