Preview: Foxygen to grace 9:30 Club with “Star Power”

Indie rock up-and-comers Foxygen will perform at D.C.’s 9:30 Club on Oct. 5. For fans of vintage and neo-psychedelic alike, the performance promises to be a must-see mix of songs from the duo’s critically acclaimed “We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic” and brand new material from their upcoming album, “…And Star Power.”

Sam France and Jonathan Rado are just 22 years old, but you’d never know that by listening to Foxygen. They’ve had plenty of time to refine their unique blend of psychedelic indie and classic rock over the course of almost 10 years. The duo began making music together in 2005 while they were still in high school and has miraculously managed to maintain their DIY aesthetic despite several studio-backed releases.

Their latest album, “We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic,” was released in early 2013 and earned critical acclaim for its unique blend of psychedelic-indie and classic rock. Standout tracks like “San Francisco” and “No Destruction” drift dreamily through clever, strung-out narratives a la Lou Reed, while songs like “Oh Yeah” recall the mellow blues of classic Rolling Stones. Like two hipsters with a time machine, France and Rado don’t just take pride in their vintage vinyl collection — they bring it to the stage.

Make no mistake, Foxygen is no Rolling Stones cover band. Though its affinities for the classics are clear, the duo’s greatest strength lies in its undeniable skill as songwriters. Its music achieves a masterfully balanced blend of vintage and modern elements and generally takes the best bits of both. For fans of the psychedelic revival (see: Tame Impala, Yeasayer, etc.) that yearn for an extra dose of that mellowed out ‘60s simplicity, Foxygen is not to be missed.

Foxygen will perform at the 9:30 club on Oct. 5 with opener Dub Thompson. Tickets are $20. Doors open at 7 p.m.

scene@theeagleonline.com