Dining administrators take up veganism to help vegan dining option

Administrators in AU Dining Services are trying out a new diet this year to better relate to students. Led by Director of Dining and Dining Services Ken Chadwick, several staff members have converted to veganism in the last several months so that they can better understand the different dietary needs of students.

As head of the dining facilities, Chadwick led the veganism initiative.

“The change to a vegan diet has been adopted by our Dietitian Jo-Ann Jolly, our Executive Chef Norbert Roesch [and] our Sustainability Chef Kyle Johnson, as well as me,” Chadwick said.

The staff chose to adopt the diet because it felt it would help them to better understand the needs of its large customer base, since many students, faculty and staff have chosen the vegan diet, Chadwick said.

“I believe that one of the main benefits to students will come from our expanded knowledge of all the vegan and vegetarian alternatives that can be served at the Terrace Dining Room and our other dining locations,” he said.

Along with the interior renovations, staff members have restructured TDR’s menu, which now includes more diverse options for vegan and vegetarian consumers.

However, Sam Cave, a freshman member of VegAU, a campus club that promotes a plant based lifestyle, believes the dining staff can provide more foods for diners with restricted diets.

“I haven’t seen many vegan options [in TDR]. There’s also only one or two options at a time for vegan or veggie meals,” Cave said. “I definitely think it’s great that [the Dining Services staff] changed their diet to help us veggie students.”

Sophomore School of International Services student and vegan, Elaine Hagin, said she has noticed change in TDR this year from last year.

“It wasn’t my favorite place last year but they’re definitely more aware of veganism, and I see them making an effort to cater to that diet. Besides having more options, the food quality has definitely improved,” Hagin said.

Overall, Chadwick believes the transition to a vegan lifestyle has gone smoothly.

“The transition has gone very well and while it was a little challenging at first, it now has become part of my lifestyle and has completely changed how I look at food,” he said.

Chadwick anticipated greater difficulty with the switch, but has been pleased with his progress so far, although he does miss some of his favorite non-vegan foods.

“I have learned to appreciate the large variety of vegetable dishes that, in the past, I would have supplanted with a protein option,” Chadwick said. “It also has taught me how much I adore cheese and miss it so very much.”