JM Eats: Jyoti Indian Cuisine

I stumbled upon Jyoti Indian Cuisine after a trip to Sakuramen two doors down was met with a disappointing “closed” sign. Jyoti Indian Cuisine on 18th Street was a huge step up from my first encounter with D.C.’s Indian food scene at Masala Art in Tenleytown. Whereas Masala Art was bland and borderline amateur, Jyoti’s food was flavorful and seemed to be made with care.

I ordered the vegetable samosa as an appetizer and the chicken vindaloo as the entree. The samosa, filled with peas and chickpeas, came out warm and full of spices that balanced the perfectly fried crust pocket.

Before I finished my last bite of the samosa’s crispy edge, the waiter came out with our entrees in hand. My vindaloo and my friend’s chicken curry were presented in iron bowls cradled in a holder on a plate. Underneath the separate bowls were tea candles to keep the dishes warm. It was evident that the vindaloo was well-crafted and made with some semblance of love. Perfectly spicy with tender chicken, the meal reminded me of the Indian food I was used to at home and helped me correct my previous negative experiences with Indian restaurants in D.C.

The primary setback of the meal: the prices were a bit much. Indian restaurants in my hometown provide free naan and each patron gets his or her own rice. Jyoti, on the other hand, charges for naan and patrons share a bed of rice. This might be a spending pressure point for diners who, like myself, needed to order more rice.

Mid-way through our meal, one of the restaurant’s associates came to check if everything was satisfactory and asked me to compare the food to other Indian restaurants in the city. My friend and I gave contented head nods but silently thought of the price. Jyoti’s entrees are typically between $12 and $16 but given the quality, this is understandable. In the last three years living in D.C., I’ve noticed that “ethnic” cuisine usually goes for higher prices. My friend and I chalked the Jyoti’s prices up to this District trait.

If you want real Indian cuisine, skip Tenleytown’s Masala Art and go to AdMo’s Jyoti on 18th Street. It’s satisfying, tastes homemade and will leave you content.

Jyoti Indian Cuisine is located at 2433 18th St NW. jyotidc.com. Take the 96 bus in front of Tenleytown’s Best Buy to 18th St.

jsmith@theeagleonline.com