“A Report to an Academy” generates laughs at the Czech Embassy

A classic tale got a modern twist during a performance of “A Report to an Academy” at the Czech Embassy on Sep. 9. The play features trained stage actor Drew Valins as Red Peter in a comedic piece that relays the story of his previous life as an ape.

The play focuses on Peter, who started as a monkey before being forced to become a man after being taken into captivity by humans. He even mentions that he became human because it was “the only way out,” which refers to the harsh treatment that he endured when in captivity.

The play was full of laughs with no dull parts, and the actors interacted with the audience. One scene in the piece that caught the audience’s attention was when Peter’s assistant brings him a banana to eat. Peter takes a bite from the banana and describes it as tasting like “New Jersey.”

Another scene the audience loved was during the last five minutes, when the narrator answered questions from the audience. One audience member asked Peter if he sees a doctor or a veterinarian.

The play is a satirical view on how humanity views freedom as Peter raises questions about what freedom really means by demonizing human norms and standards.

The play is part of the Czech Embassy’s Mutual Inspiration Festival from Sept. 3- Oct. 31. The festival will explore the theme of Kakfa with various art exhibitions, performances and events.