5 reasons D.C. is the coolest city in America

D.C. was recently named the coolest city in America by Forbes, beating New York City and Los Angeles. Here are a few reasons why that title was well-deserved.

1. Amazing coffee shops

Yes, Seattle is known for Starbucks, but D.C. is known for original, crafty and atmospheric coffee shops in nearly every neighborhood. Georgetown favorite Baked & Wired has been around since 2001 and has cupcakes to boot. The Chinatown Coffee Company has been known as a haunt for NPR staff and an AU alum even founded the Adams Morgan hotspot Tryst.

2. Incredible ethnic fare

D.C. attracts a melting pot of ethnicities every year and with it an endless offering of different authentic cuisines. Above and beyond than the famous Ben’s Chili Bowl, the 202 touts a variety of Japanese, Korean, Indian, Ethiopian, Eritrean and other restaurants that will keep your taste buds cultured. The above picture is from Chinatown’s Daikaya ramen shop. Always packed with a 30-45 minute wait, it’s just one example of the delicious surprises the District has hidden between alleys and side streets.

3. Concerts aplenty

D.C. is always on the list of tour locations for your favorite bands, both Top 40 and obscure. Acts like Slowdive, Iggy Azalea and Danny Brown have made their way to the District in venues like 9:30 Club, U Street Music Hall, Tropicalia and the Black Cat. These venues and others also showcase comedy troupes like Upright Citizens Brigade, a famed troupe where comedy greats like Fred Armisen and Amy Poehler got their start. Keep an eye on the constantly updated calendars or else tickets might sell out quickly.

4. Free world-class art

From the National Portrait Gallery to the Hirshhorn Museum, D.C. is rich with free art galleries. Afternoons after class can be spent walking the Portrait Gallery’s halls and marveling at the always-evocative pieces. Along more avant-garde lines, the Hirshhorn Gallery hosts work by provocative artists like Yoko Ono and Ai Weiwei and always welcomes the strange.

Art is also a huge part of the more unassuming galleries in the Capitol building and the Library of Congress. It may sound boring, but it is anything but commonplace.

5. Small city, big town

D.C. is about 10 miles wide, which means it is packed with great things to see on every street and in every neighborhood. It also means that the city is small enough to cover in a day and a half. Experiencing so many unique neighborhoods in one day is what makes D.C. special. Many people think about the Hill when they think of D.C., but every neighborhood from Cleveland Park to Anacostia has its own vibe that makes each new place different from that last. Visiting these spots on foot is a priceless (completely free) adventure that keeps the city fresh.