“Screen on the Green” brings classic movies to the Mall

Every summer, HBO and Comcast bring classic film screenings to the National Mall with “Screen on the Green.” Perfect for a warm summer night out, the films start around 8:30 – 9:00 p.m. every Monday, and attendees begin to fill in around 5 p.m. Here’s a guide to this year’s lineup:

1. The Karate Kid – July 21

Wax on, wax off. This 1984 cult classic, tells the story of Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio, “My Cousin Vinny”), a troubled adolescent who learns karate from the enigmatic and humble Kesuke Miyagi (Pat Morita, “Big Trouble in Little China”). “The Karate Kid” is nothing without its enviably memorable teen antagonist Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka, “European Vacation”) and his rival karate gang, Cobra Kai. LaRusso eventually learns the art of self-defense through menial housework like car maintenance, fence building and painting. If only real handymen were so resourceful.

2. Lover Come Back – July 28

“Lover Come Back” was nominated for an Oscar in 1962 for best writing in a feature film. The film rides on the popularity of Rock Hudson’s earlier film, “Pillow Talk,” which is arguably the better known of the collaborations of Doris Day (“The Man Who Knew Too Much”) and Hudson. This romantic comedy tracks the tale of Jerry Webster (Hudson) and Carol Templeton (Day) as they compete in the world of advertising for clients. This tale eventually takes a turn for the unpredictable when Webster becomes embroiled in some small matters of mistaken identity.

3. Key Largo – August 4

This 1948 film by the prolific actor and director John Huston (“The Man Who Would Be King”) stars a cavalcade of old Hollywood talent. With Humphrey Bogart (“The Maltese Falcon”), Edward G. Robinson (“Scarlett Street”), Lauren Bacall (“The Big Sleep”), Lionel Barrymore (“You Can’t Take It With You”) and Carol Trevor (“Stagecoach”), “Key Largo” tells the story of a World War II veteran drawn into a conflict with a ruthless gangster and his gang. Trevor won an Oscar for best supporting actress in 1949 for her role in the film.

4. A Soldier’s Story – Aug. 11

There have been plenty of films that deal with military investigators attempting to solve murders. In 1984, Norman Jewson (“Moonstruck”) adapted the Pulitzer Prize winning play by Charles Fuller (“Zooman”) about an African-American lawyer, played by Denzel Washington (“2 Guns”) in one of his earliest roles, tasked with conducting an inquiry into a mysterious death. “A Soldier’s Story” was also was nominated for three Oscars, including best writing and best supporting actor.

Where: National Mall, Between 7th and 12th Streets
When: July 21 through August 11
Cost: Free

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com