Lacrosse loses final non-conference game to No.16 Virginia 18-4

The AU lacrosse team dropped its final out-of-conference game of the regular season 18-4 to the University of Virginia, April 1 in Charlottesville, Va.

In the first 20 minutes of the game, AU faced an 8-0 deficit. With less than nine minutes to go in the first half, AU recorded their first goal after sophomore midfielder Terese Buechli scored a 8:53 in the first. Virginia answered with three additional goals, closing out the half with a commanding 11-1 lead.

Virginia began the second half the same way they finished the first. Mary Alati scored the Cavaliers 12th goal of the game in the first minute to increase the lead to 12-1. AU answered back with two consecutive goals by junior attacker Jamie Silverman and Buechli to reduce the deficit to 12-3 with 22:28 remaining in the half.

Virginia answered back with five consecutive goals to lead 17-3.

The Eagles would tally one more goal with freshman midfielder Sarah Bootman scoring her first career goal with 5:30 remaining. Virginia would respond with its final goal by Besser Dyson, making it 18-4.

For AU, Buchli led the team in goals with two and senior midfielder Emily Maher had a team high four the team in draw controls. Senior midfielder Nicole Lombardo, junior midfielder Olivia McCarthy and freshman goalkeeper Jackie Ferri had two ground balls each. Ferri also led the team in saves with five.

AU head back to Jacobs Field on April 5 at 1 p.m. when they host Lafayette for the 2014 Lacrosse Blowout.