Exploring AU’s tattoo subculture: permanent homage to a loved one

Bob Walsh, a sophomore in Kogod School of Business, paid respect to his grandfather in a permanent way. His homage tattoo features a yellow Star of David within an eight ball on his arm.

Walsh’s grandfather was a major part of his everyday life before college. He remarked on their frequent pool games with his grandfather and described them as some of the most memorable experiences in his life. After his grandfather’s recent move from the family home in New Jersey to Florida, and his own transition to college, the relationship between the two had unfortunately become quite distant.

Missing his grandfather and recognizing the true greatness of his grandfather’s impact on his life, it was then that he decided to get his tattoo. He explained that the Star of David is representative of his grandfather’s religion and the fact that he married Walsh’s Christian grandmother, despite the difficulties, after family pressure forced them to elope. The eight ball represents all the pool games that they played when under the same roof and serves as a constant reminder of their relationship.

Walsh’s decision to honor his grandfather express his opinions of why tattoos are one of the most powerful artforms. He said believes that tattoos are an interestingly intimate art because they require a significant amount of trust and loss of control.

“You are trusting someone to mark you for the rest of your life,” Walsh said. “You will be wearing someone else’s artwork. Almost like you’re a canvas.”

It was not a hard decision for him then to want such a powerful and permanent homage to his grandfather. With him as the canvas and the tattoo artist the painter, Walsh’s tattoo serves a personal reminder of a loved one.

Danielle Green’s column explores the stories behind AU students’ tattoos. Read her introductory column for her thoughts on tattoos in general.

scene@theeagleonline.com