Women’s basketball drops WNIT despite Dobbs’ 24 points

Senior guard Alexis Dobbs led her team in points throughout the regular season, often scoring in tense moments and giving her team the boost it needed to win games.
Dobbs tried to do the same during when the AU women’s basketball team played against Seton Hall University in the first round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament (WNIT) in South Orange, N.J. on March 20, but Dobbs’ 24 points fell short of carrying the Eagles past the Pirates.
“It was a good way to end our season as far as effort is concerned,” head coach Megan Gebbia told AUEagles.com. “Playing against a Big East team on their home floor is never an easy feat, and we were right there with them, so I think that speaks volumes of our team in general.”
The Eagles (22-10, 14-4, PL) started the game strong by taking a 7-0 lead on three consecutive shots by junior guard Jen Dumiak. However, Seton Hall (19-13, 8-10, Big East) battled back, responding with a 12-0 run that gave the Pirates a 12-7 lead with 13:47 to play in the first half.

Dumiak and Dobbs retook the lead on consecutive three-point shots with 11:35 left in the half, but the Pirates were able to respond with a 9-0 run, pushing their advantage over the Eagles to eight points with 9:00 minutes to play.

Dobbs made it a one-point game with 3:02 to play in the half with her second three-pointer of the night, which put AU down by only three points when the first half came to an end.

However, the Eagles spent the rest of the game chasing the Pirates. AU’s 33-point second half was not enough to oust Seton Hall of the lead.

The Eagles came close several times, putting themselves within one point of the Pirates with 12:38 to play in the second half and again with 12:01 left in regulation, but the Pirates continually pulled away.

With 8:30 left, Seton Hall had a nine-point advantage. Nevertheless, AU chipped away the lead, and was down by three points with 19 seconds left in the game. Dobbs hoisted a three-point shot with one second left, but her shot was off and the Eagles lost 63-60, marking the end of their season.

AU, which relies on its defense and rebounding, was outdone by 11 rebounds.

Although Dobbs’ three-point shots were essential to AU’s success during the game, AU’s typically powerful interior offense that was not present against Seton Hall put the Eagles at a disadvantage, with the Pirates attempting 23 free throws and the Eagles only shooting four.

Dumiak scored 18 points for the Eagles and pulled down a team-high six rebounds.

Senior Dobbs scored 24 of the team’s 60 points. Dobbs was 9-of-15 from the field, including 6-of-11 from three-point range. She played all but one minute of the contest

“Alexis hit big shot after big shot,” Gebbia told AUEagles.com. “I’m glad she could end her career in that fashion.”