University College students design, screen film series

Every Friday in the Mudbox, the Critical Approach to the Cinema University College program presents a film screening under the unique category of “Murder Food Comedy.” Each free screening involves watching a movie, eating free food and participating in related activities like trivia.

“For our film series, at the beginning of the semester, we all came up independently with some ideas of what are the movies we could show,” said Tim Choi, a freshman in the School of International Service and head of coordinating events. “We voted. Then, we thought, why not combine some themes? We all had different themes, and we combined murder, food and comedy.”

The Murder Food Comedy film series has already put on two events: “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” on Feb. 21 and “Troll 2” on Feb. 28.

“The second screening had one of the best turnouts by a mile,” Choi said. “All of us were very satisfied with attendance.”

As a part of coursework, students are broken into “teams” that are responsible for event coordination, marketing, fundraising, writing, documentary and copyright. Students have to apply for leadership positions on each team.

Being involved in every aspect of programming and administering a film series allows the students to get an in-depth look at what goes into the film industry besides just making the movies, Choi said.

The group’s upcoming screenings include:
● “Chicken Run” – March 21
● “Poultrygeist” – March 28
● “Thankskilling” – April 4
● “Sweeney Todd” – April 11

The screenings are held at 6:30pm in the Mudbox.

Disclosure: Zach Ewell, who is a member of the Critical Approach UC, is on the editorial board of The Eagle.

scene@theeagleonline.com