Q&A: Maz Jobrani, actor and comedian

Maz Jobrani is an Iranian-American comedian and actor living in Los Angeles. He was part of the “Axis of Evil” comedy group and starred in the films “The Interpreter,” “Friday After Next” and “13 Going on 30” as well as numerous TV shows and short films. Jobrani most recently starred in the movie “Shirin in Love,” about a young Iranian-American woman navigating through family, friends and love.

Jobrani took time to speak with The Eagle’s Alex Patel about his life and goals in comedy and his new venture “Jimmy Vestvood: Amerikan Hero,” a film that he co-wrote and plays the title character.

Eagle: How did you get into comedy?
Maz Jobrani: Given that my parents are Iranian, they wanted me to be a comedian…just kidding. Actually, they wanted me to be a lawyer. Growing up I was really inspired by Eddie Murphy. When I was 12 I performed in plays in school and found out that I loved being on stage. It wasn’t until my mid 20s that I started doing comedy professionally.

E: How do you come up with your material? Is it hard coming up with new material after you’ve found a routine that works?
MJ: I come up with my material from my life and observations. Also my experiences and Los Angeles. It actually takes a lot of work. I got experience in LA at the Laugh Factory and the Comedy Store. We would spend 15 to 20 minutes a night working on new material on stage. It takes a good year to come up with a complete hour long special. Other comics usually help out and offer advice after the show, known as “tagging a joke.” They go, “You could have added this and that to the end of that joke.” After I have done my special I usually start retiring my material and try to come up with a new set.

E: What advice do you have for new comedians?
MJ: Well for anyone looking to get into comedy, you have to get on stage and write as much as you can. It takes 5 to 10 years before you get really good. You have to keep in mind that if you have a bad set, you just have to deal with it and work it out, and don’t believe the hype. If you are having a good show, don’t go thinking that you will be the next best thing. At the same time, if you have a bad show, don’t think you should have been a lawyer.

E: Any life advice?
MJ: You have one life. It’s not your parent’s life, it is your life. Do what you love and go for it, whatever that is.

E: What was it like making “Shirin in Love?”
MJ: It’s basically a Persian version of “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” It’s an American-made independent romantic comedy. It’s directed by Ramin Niami and has both American and Iranian American actors. It stars Nazanin Boniadi from “Homeland.” Is it perfect? No. Is it fun film to see? Yes. The most important part is that it puts Iranian Americans in a new light. Nine out of 10 times, films with Muslims involve terrorism.

E: Tell me about “Jimmy Vestvood: Amerikan Hero?” How is the crowdfunding going?
MJ: I sometimes play Middle Eastern stereotypes like cab drives, but it’s actually about how you feel on set. I played the role of the terrorist before and I just didn’t feel good about it on set, so I decided not to do that anymore.
To put it briefly, Jimmy Vestvood is like a Persian version of the Pink Panther. I wrote it with Amir Ohebsion. We wanted a movie with a hero of Middle Eastern descent. We filmed for 18 days last year and it is currently in postproduction. It’s directed by Jonathan Kesselman who also directed “The Hebrew Hammer,” which plays off similar themes. We got about half the funding through crowdfunding, Indiegogo, for the film. We also got funding from private investors. Making a film takes a lot of work. Ron Howard says you make a movie three times: Once writing the script, once shooting, and once in editing. My advice for anyone looking to go into filmmaking is just keep doing it. Start with small projects.

E: What are your goals with comedy?
MJ: The main goal for me is to be funny. No matter how far you are in your career, you always get joy from making other people laugh. My long-term goal is to translate my material into a TV show. But I just want to keep doing this. I love discovering other funny people and will often tour with younger comedians. I recently worked with the upcoming comedians Amir K and Nimesh Patel. I found what I love.

E: Is there anything you want your fans or America or the world to know?
MJ: I have a bad back and I am trying to make a comeback. Check out my material on
YouTube, Netflix, iTunes, etc. Go to my Facebook and website. My comedy special “I Come In Peace” is now on Netflix. You can find out more about me and my shows all over the web.

Maz Jobrani will be at the Warner Theatre on March 28 at 8pm. For more information visit the Warner Theatre website.

scene@theeagleonline.com