Richard Blumenthal

KPU to bring US Senator Richard Blumenthal

AU will welcome Senator Richard Blumenthal to campus as the next Kennedy Political Union speaker on March 31 at 7:30 p.m. in Ward 2.

Senator Blumenthal currently serves as a senator for Connecticut. He previously served as a U.S. attorney for Connecticut, where he encouraged reforms in the health insurance industry, including lowering pharmaceutical drug costs. He also served in the Connecticut House of Representatives and State Senate, according to a KPU press release.

Blumenthal is known as a key player in the national fight against Big Tobacco. He helped end misleading advertising that was aimed at children. He has also successfully fought against unfair utility rate charges, air pollution causing acid rain, and general environmental wrongdoing, according to the press release.

“KPU is thrilled to host such a dynamic leader from the U.S. Senate,” KPU director Chandler Thornton said in the press release. “We look forward to continuing our nonpartisan tradition by hosting another elected official, this time from the Democratic Party.

sruben@theeagleonline.com