Exploring AU’s tattoo subculture: a middle finger to negative vibes

Danielle Green’s column explores the stories behind AU students’ tattoos. Read her introductory column for her thoughts on tattoos in general.

The idea of getting a tattoo had always appealed to School of Communication sophomore Paz Monge, who is originally from Costa Rica. After learning about the ancient Greek evil eye symbol, she knew that she wanted it to permanently decorate her hand. The tattoo features an eye surrounded by rays and it boldly rests on her middle finger.

Monge said the evil eye is supposed to “repel you from negative energies and thoughts.” The symbol has roots in ancient Greece, but is now a global term for giving a vengeful stare that will direct harm toward the subject of animosity. It is believed by some that wearing an evil eye, sometimes known as a nazar, can serve as a counter-attack against another evil eye- An eye for an eye. These blue-eyed talisman or amulets are commonplace in the U.S. as well as internationally.

Monge said this tattoo, as well as the tattoo stating “Luz” meaning “light” in Spanish placed behind her ear, were impulsive decisions that now serve as important reminders of her personal philosophy on life.

“Everything is temporary [and] nothing will last forever,” Monge said. “Tattoos can serve as really symbolical marks on people’s body. It can be just a constant reminder or an expression. Their purpose varies on each body, but every purpose is completely justified. In the end, everything turns out to be subjective.”

scene@theeagleonline.com