Women’s basketball notches win over Holy Cross

The AU women’s basketball team snapped their two-game losing streak with a win against Holy Cross 58-53 on Feb. 1 in Worcester, Mass.

“I think this was a good game and a good test for us, especially after the Navy game,” head coach Megan Gebbia told AUEagles.com.

Several AU (13-7, 6-3 PL) players had impressive stats. Junior guard Jen Dumiak finished the game with 17 points with seven rebounds and three assists. Sophomore forward Michelle Holmes grabbed 12 rebounds to lead the Eagles, who outrebounded the Crusaders (13-7, 5-4 PL) by 40-27. In addition, senior guard Alexis Dobbs also finished with six rebounds and led the team in assists with seven.

AU jumped to a quick lead at the start of the game. Senior guard Geleisa George scored six points to help the Eagles jump to a 14-7 start and allowing AU to hold on to the lead throughout the first half 30-26.

Key to the Eagles’ first half success was the player of junior guard Jen Dumiak, who scored 11 of her 17 total points then.

In the second half, the Eagles found themselves in a dead heat as Holy Cross took the lead eight minutes into the second half after a 13-4 run that finished with a three drained by Alex Smith.

Senior guard Ti’Asia McGeorge drained a three point shot of her own just twenty seconds later to put the Eagles back on top.

The teams battled until, junior forward Arron Zimmerman hit a three with less than eight minutes to go to put the Eagles up 48-46. The last five minutes of the game featured aggressive defense by both sides as AU prevented Holy Cross from taking back the lead including forcing two Crusader turnovers. In the end, the Eagles gained the victory by a final score of 58-53.

The Eagles finished the night shooting 23-for-52 from the field compared to 20-for-54 for the Crusaders. Turnovers proved to be a problem for the Eagles, who turned the ball over 18 times compared to just nine for Holy Cross.

The AU women’s basketball team will take on Loyola University (Md.) on Feb. 15 to continue conference play.
sports@theeagleonline.com: sports@theeagleonline.com