The Chosun bowl at Sakuramen.

Ramen with a twist

JM Eats (A Lot)

As diners stroll by Adams Morgan’s most popular shops and restaurants, they can hear loud music from Madam’s Organ, smooth jazz from Tryst and hip-hop throwbacks from an underground ramen bar.

That last adage might sound out of place. A ramen bar has Aaliyah, Wu-Tang Clan and pre-“Magna Carta Holy Grail” Jay-Z on rotation?

That’s what Sakuramen, a ramen bar in a basement on Adams Morgan’s busy 18th Street, is all about. Walking down the steep, eroded steps into the warm bar, you can see the intentional blending of cultures, music and food. Ramen noodles are traditionally Japanese, but Sakuramen makes a note to fuse different Asian foods into the restaurant’s bowls of broth, noodles and other goodies.

My favorite dish every time I visit, usually to impress friends from home, is the Chosun bowl. The different flavors and culinary staples from Korea, Japan and China are all apparent in the bowl. Angus bulgogi steak, seasoned boiled egg, kimchi and nori (seaweed) blend Korean and Japanese foods in a bowl without muddling the flavors. The umami flavors of the steak and boiled egg stand by themselves and at the same time balance out the broth and nori.

For adventurous eaters, try the Tonkotsu Red bowl. Boiled pork is enough for me to call this dish a stretch. For those not used to the texture, take it slow. But once you get over the naked texture of boiled pork, you realize how wonderfully flavorful it is. The Tonkotsu Red also uses pork broth and ranges from not that spicy to outrageously spicy. I always go for the spiciest of flavors offered. The Tonkotsu Red bowl tries the taste buds but not in a way that prevents diners from enjoying their food.

I consistently bring out-of-towners to Sakuramen for the great location, warm atmosphere and even better food. Unlike typical American dining, Sakuramen uses long tables where diners face each other. This is a great way to meet people and feel connected with the surroundings. If you want a more private experience, there are some smaller tables around the restaurant.

Prices are fair for the quality of food you get as well as the heap of deliciousness in your bowl. Typically, bowls range between $11-$13.

Waiters are also a plus at Sakuramen. They are as cool as the house soundtrack and nice enough to help diners who know nothing about ramen, kimchi or nori.

Next time you’re on 18th, bypass the jumbo slice and take a chance on Sakuramen.

Price Range: $$
Metro: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan
2441 18th Street NW, Washington, D.C.

_JM Eats (A Lot) reviews various restaurant hot spots, unique low-profile dives and neighborhood haunts every other Wednesday. _

jsmith@theeagleonline.com