Wurm, Ballance, Scovel headline swimmers at Georgetown meet

Three Eagle swimmers earned multiple first place finishes in a Jan. 17 dual meet with Georgetown University.

Senior swimmer Bobby Ballance took first in the 200 yard IM with a time of 1:57.53, followed by a victory in the 200 yard backstroke in 1:54.91.

Senior swimmer Matt Wurm was the first Eagle victor of the afternoon, taking first in the 200 yard freestyle with a time of 1:43.64, beating the next closest swimmer by almost two seconds. He also secured a victory in the 100 yard freestyle with a time of 47.86.

On the women’s side freshman Shannon Scovel took home first in the 500 and 1000 yard freestyle with times of 5:21.83 and 10:50.39, respectively.

Sophomore Paris Wood also had a strong performance on the afternoon. First she took home second in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 25.34. Wood then took home first in the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:07.06 beating the second place finisher, AU freshman Caylee Watson, by over six seconds.

Junior Melissa Parker took home the title in the 3 meter dive with a score of 274.80.

Ballance and Wurm were part of a men’s 200 yard medley relay team with juniors Charlie Taffet and Philip Piombino, placing second with a time of 1:37.08, missing out on first by six one-hundredths of a second.

Taffet recorded a first place finish of his own in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:10.69.

Freshman Kilian Korth took first in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 4:44.25, beating the second place finisher by over four seconds.

The Eagles are next in action Jan. 25 when they take on George Mason University, Army and Boston University.

esatzman@theeagleonline.com