Take 5: Rest in peace, Paul Walker

This busy week in pop culture started with the tragic death of actor Paul Walker. The Eagle’s Mark Lieberman recaps Walker’s passing and the rest of the week’s event in his latest Take 5 column.

Rest in peace, Paul Walker.
Hollywood was shocked to learn that Paul Walker, the well-liked star of the “Fast & Furious” series passed away in a car accident in Valencia, Calif. on Nov. 30. Walker was 40 years old. In addition to his starring role in one of the most popular and well-liked currently operating Hollywood franchises, Walker played the lead in such films as “Eight Below” and “Running Scared.” He was also a dedicated family man, active in philanthropy and passionate about biological research and car racing. His co-stars and friends have communicated their support for Walker throughout the week. Walker was in the process of shooting the seventh “Fast & Furious” film when he died. Universal announced on Dec. 4 that production on the film has shut down indefinitely.

Get ready for superhero overload.
Zack Snyder’s upcoming Batman-Superman crossover film just got a hefty upgrade in the form of a popular character who has thus far struggled to make an impression on the big screen: Wonder Woman. The most beloved of all female superheroes will be played by Gal Gadot, Warner Brothers announced on Dec. 4. Gadot is not exactly a household name, but she has appeared as Giselle in the “Fast & Furious” films. Fun fact from Gadot’s background: she competed in the 2004 Miss Universe pageant as Miss Israel before pursuing a career as a professional model and actress. Will she live up to the high expectations for this legendary character? As with Ben Affleck, the jury’s out thus far.

Spoiler alert: there will be lots of television shows in 2014.
Although 2013 is winding down and the broadcast networks are stuffing their schedules to the gills with repeats, holiday specials and the stray live “Sound of Music” remake, 2014 is shaping up to be another banner year for the thriving medium of television. Netflix announced on Dec. 4 that its popular drama “House of Cards” will return on Valentine’s Day for another season of political intrigue and Shakespearean undertones. “The Walking Dead” will return from hiatus on Feb. 9, satisfying rabid fan speculation about the shocking events in the recent mid-season finale. And NBC’s surprisingly popular drama “The Blacklist” will be around for the foreseeable future: the network just announced that it has renewed the show for a full second season to begin next September.

The most “legitimate” music awards show kicks off its season this week.
The 2014 Grammy nominations will be announced Dec. 6 with the annual LL Cool J-led concert special on CBS. Robin Thicke, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Lorde, Drake and Keith Urban will perform on the one-hour event, which will also include the announcement of nominations in several key categories. The remainder of the nominations will be announced shortly thereafter. Prognosticators are expecting a major showing from the comeback kid Justin Timberlake and a possibly strong first go-around for rising star Lorde. The big question mark: will the Grammys embrace Kanye West’s critically acclaimed “Yeezus,” or will the rap star’s beef with the awards body continue?

R. Kelly wants to trap you in his closet yet again.
Love him or hate him, R. Kelly has been a huge pop music presence this year, from his Lady Gaga duet “Do What U Want” to his appearance on Justin Bieber’s “P.Y.D.” Next week, he’ll release his latest studio album, lasciviously titled “Black Panties” and featuring such demure songs as “Cookies,” “Poetic Sex,” “Tear It Up,” “Every Position” and “Throw This Money on You.” If that’s not enough, Kelly announced on Dec. 4 that IFC will air new episodes of his outrageous series “Trapped in the Closet” next year. IFC will also rerun every episode up to this point on Dec. 7. Subtlety has never been Kelly’s strong suit, and his streak will continue well into next year.

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com