Wrestling team loses first dual meet to No. 17 Virginia Tech

The AU wrestling team dropped a 30-9 dual meet loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies Nov.17.

In this dual meet at Virginia Tech, the AU team faced stiff competition from Hokies and were unable to squeak out the victory. The Eagles was coming off its first competition at the Brockport/Oklahoma Gold.

Starting this meet for the Eagles was No. 18 sophomore David Terao, who faced No. 20 freshman Joey Dance in the 125 lbs. contest but lost to Dance in a 3-1 overtime decision. AU bounced right back in the 133 lbs. bout when sophomore Esteban Gomez-Rivera won a 2-1 overtime decision against Hokie wrestler Erik Spjut. Gomez-Rivera picked up an escape to secure the victory, his fourth win of the season.

After the match at 133, the Eagles entered a slump, losing their next six match-ups. Virginia Tech wrestlers recorded falls during the 141 lbs. and 149 lbs. matches. The other four contests, the 157, 164, 174 and 184 lbs. bouts, ended in decisions in favor of the Hokies.

No. 13 senior Daniel Mitchell gave the Eagles another win in the 197 lbs. match. Recorded a fall in 6:34 over Virginia Tech senior Chris Penny. Mitchell pinned Penny with just 26 seconds to go.

The Eagles will be hosting their own dual home meet on Nov. 21 at its annual Bender Takedown event at 7:30 pm against the University of Wisconsin.