Thursday, May 2, 2024

Women's basketball cruises past UMBC

AU’s visit to the University of Maryland at Baltimore County ended early as the Eagles’ offense struct fast against the Retrievers, resulting in a 60-39 win Nov. 20.

The Eagles (3-0,0-0 PL) came out relentless against UMBC (1-3, 0-0 AEC) in the first half, snagging a 9-0 lead with a three-pointer by junior forward Arron Zimmerman in the first four minutes of play.

The Eagles’ offense during the first-half was characterized by fast-break scoring, and solid outside shooting with eight three-pointers. AU also racked up seven steals.

AU would cruise to a 38-16 halftime score, led by stellar offensive and defensive play by Zimmerman and junior guard Jen Dumiak.

Coming into the second half with a 22-point lead, the Eagles gave a well-deserved rest to their starters and allowed their bench to become more involved in the game, giving nine or more minutes to four different non-starting players.

UMBC fought back hard in the second half, taking advantage of the Eagles’ inexperienced substitutes. The Retrievers outscored AU 23-22 in the second half, in large part from the effort of UMBC’s forward Sara Tarbert. She led the game for both sides with 17 points, adding eight rebounds.

Sophomore guard Ari Booth was the most effective Eagle off the bench, scoring 12 points in just 12 minutes while adding two defensive rebounds.

This game revealed two obstacles the Eagles must overcome to be successful down the stretch of the season: locking down offensive juggernauts such as Tarbert from scoring in the paint and getting points off the bench.

The Eagles will play Quinnipiac University on Nov. 23.

aromero@theeagleonline.com