The Rewind: Parenthood and American Horror Story

“Parenthood” – Season 5, Episode 6 – “The M Word”
NBC’s stalwart family drama is currently a conflict between bad storylines and good execution this season. Christina Braverman (Monica Potter), who survived a bout of breast cancer last season, is in the midst of an ill-advised mayoral campaign that feels like a writer’s idea of an uplifting arc, not an organic extension of the character’s realistic actions. This episode sent the storyline even further into implausibility, with Christina spontaneously going against her morals and using her son’s Asperger’s for political gain during a heated debate. If Christina wins, Berkeley will never be the same – and neither will the show.

Elsewhere in the show’s repertoire of troublesome storylines, Julia and Joel might be on the rocks with David Denman and Sonya Walger’s characters waiting in the wings. This storyline echoes soap opera melodrama and seems like another nuance-free departure from the typical “Parenthood” style of taking big-picture stories and finding the touching details underneath.

But this season isn’t a total wash yet. Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) and Camille (Bonnie Bedelia) continue to have the season’s most interesting arc, as Camille asserts her independence and embarks on a trip to Italy. The impending marriage of Amber and Ryan, and the potential turmoil to follow, has jerked plenty of tears. And every scene with Max continues to be prickly perfection. If “Parenthood” can pull itself out of its troublesome narratives, this season could still prove as powerful as the last four.
-Mark Lieberman

“American Horror Story”- Season 3, Episode 4- “Fearful Pranks Ensue”
This season of FX’s “American Horror Story: Coven” is all about witches getting downright wicked. Of course, everyone is mainly reinvested this season because they want Evan Peters and Taissa Farmiga to rekindle their former Tate-Violet love flame, but that’s complicated when Peters’ girlfriend in real life Emma Roberts is prancing around in bodycon dresses. Three’s company much?

In last week’s episode, the Council of Witches pays a visit to Fiona (Jessica Lange) at the Academy after the mysterious murder of Madison (Emma Roberts). In addition to the intense interrogation between the bitter and better witches, the episode incorporates flashbacks that continue to fill the infinitely deep holes of the plot. It turns out that Spalding (Denis O’Hare) doesn’t have a tongue for a reason, and it’s actually super important. Meanwhile, Queenie (Gabourey Sidibe) remains in bed after being attacked by the now-deceased beast-lover of the voodoo queen, Marie Laveau (Angela Bassett), who conjures up deep-seated revenge on everyone who’s wronged her (“Either you’re with me or against me. And if it’s the latter, you’d best stay out of my way,”). Madame Delphine LaLaurie (Kathy Bates) seems like she’s becoming less of an old-fashioned racist, but she only ever opens the door to more grief. The character of Cordelia (Sarah Paulson) could use some work, maybe that’s why an anonymous hooded figure threw acid in her face at the end of the episode.

This season is off to a strong start, jumping from one extreme to the next. It constantly teases viewers with glimmers of hope, immediately followed by straight up “what the hell” moments that build drama. – Sydney Gore