GROUPLOVE concert draws more than 1,000 attendees

More than 1,000 people attended the GROUPLOVE concert hosted by Student Government’s Student Union Board on Nov. 8.

Although two groups were scheduled to open for GROUPLOVE, Saints of Valory did not make it to the performance due to a malfunction with their bus. Instead, two AU students, DJs Recluse Music and DJ K Cap, opened for the show last minute.

First to appear on stage was The Knocks, a electronic dance party band with a sound that seemed to choreograph and direct the audience’s feet at Bender Arena. Their music consisted of a heavy bass and a funk influence resembling Daft Punk.

While The Knocks got the attendees on their feet, GROUPLOVE took the audience by force, igniting Bender Arena’s temporary dance floor with music and movement. Amid the swaying back and forth, fans cheered as GROUPLOVE busted out favorites such as “Ways To Go,” “Colours,” “Lovely Cup” and of course the commercially successful “Tongue Tied.”

The band moved as much, if not more than the audience, as they jumped all over the stage and even into the crowd. Among the extremely vocal GROUPLOVE, drummer Ryan Rabin screamed out profanities to the crowd in an attempt to get people sitting in the bleachers to get up and start dancing with the crowd.

The accompanying light show only added to the performance as the stage flashed various colors like vibrant holiday lights. GROUPLOVE’s performance was as visual as it was musical. At times, it seemed like members were playing Dance Dance Revolution as their legs criss-crossed along the platform.

Talent poured out of the stage and into the eyes and ears of its audience as GROUPLOVE made their name and music stick out.