Eagles field hockey season ends with loss to Maryland

The AU field hockey team lost 4-1 to No. 1 University of Maryland in the first round of NCAA playoffs on Nov. 16.

The team has not won a NCAA field hockey playoff since 2005.

“Our season came to a close today against a great Maryland team but despite the loss we are so proud of our team’s effort, resilience and skill,” head coach Steve Jennings told AUEagles.com.

Although being eliminated from the playoffs, the Eagles ended their season with a 15-6 overall record, a Patriot League Championship and their eighth NCAA playoff appearance in the past ten years.

“We worked hard and accomplished so much this year — demonstrating the power of a collective spirit,” Jennings said.

Much like their Patriot League Championship win, this game was characterized by a low-number of shots on goal and aggressive defense. The Terrapins (21-1, 6-0 ACC), however, were more efficient than the Eagles (15-6, 6-0 PL) in their productivity, scoring on four of their eight shots, while AU made only one of its six.

Despite coming out of the gate unyielding, AU’s defense gave up two goals within three minutes in the first half. The first coming from a difficult top of the shooting-circle shot by Terp freshman midfielder Anna Dessoye at 12:59, assisted by junior defender Steffi Schneid.

The Terrapins would add another score off of a driving slap-shot from the right side of the goal at 15:55 by junior forward Katie Gerzabek with the assist coming from junior forward Jill Witmer.

Eagles would respond in the 17th minute of the game during a penalty corner with a deflection off of a Maryland defender into the Terrapins goal, scored by senior forward Alex McMackin and assisted by senior midfielder Shelly Montgomery.

The Terrapins would regain their two-goal lead with less than three minutes left in the first half off of tight-fit shot from the right side to the left side of the goal by Witmer assisted by Dessoye.

The Eagles’ offense was shut down in the second-half from fierce defensive play by the Terrapins, who seemed to out-hustle AU on both sides of the field, stealing the ball and creating havoc against AU’s offensive efforts.

After scoring off of a misdirection penalty corner at 61:58, Maryland coasted to a 4-1 victory, running the rest of the time down.

Despite losing many seniors, the Eagles will look build upon their success this season and vie for the championship once again next year.

“Most importantly we want to thank our seniors for all they have given us as people. We love them deeply and are proud they were able to lead us back to a conference championship and a trip to the NCAA playoffs, “ Jennings said.

aromero@theeagleonline.com