The AU-owned property at 4825 Glenbrook Road pictured in 2011, before it was demolished in 2012.

Dig at Glenbrook Road begun

Clarification appended

Excavation of an area at 4825 Glenbrook Road, where a hazardous chemical was found in 2010, has led to the discovery of munition debris and glassware that did not contain any chemicals, according to a weekly report by the Spring Valley Project Team.

The excavation of the Glenbrook property is in the high-probability stage. During this stage the Corps expects to find weapons materials and uses extra safety precautions, which began in September and will last for approximately a year, The Eagle previously reported.

Seven pounds of glassware, all of which tested negative for a chemical agent, have been recovered as of a Nov. 12 Residence Advisory Board meeting, according to Corps Project Manager Brenda Barber.

Andrea Takash, Public Affairs Specialist for the Army Corps of Engineers, stressed that the “shelter-in-place” protocols, which require those in potentially affected zones near the Glenbrook property, like AU’s Watkins Hall and Jacobs Field, to take cover, have never been utilized in 21 years performing similar operations in the community.

“The safety and health of the entire community, as well as our workers, is the No. 1 one priority,” Takash said in an email. “As such, we are using several layers of protection including proven engineering controls and precautions to address safety and mitigate risk.”

dmitchell@theeagleonline.com

Clarification: A former version of this story did not list Takash’s first name and title. It has been corrected. In addition, a former headline said the dig would begin next week, but it began on Nov. 19.