AU magician gears up for performance

School of Communication sophomore Danny Dubin shuttles between classes and homework during the day, but at night, he performs magic tricks utilizing the power of illusions.

“I saw my first magic trick when I was eight, and I was then instructed to visit the local magic shop,” Dubin said. “From there I caught the “magic bug,” and I have been performing for corporate and charity events, restaurants, and other private functions for the last seven years.”

As a longtime performer, Dubin sees the chasm between audience and performer as a very thin delineation where the slightest mistake could mean breaking the illusionary experience.

“Unlike traditional theater there is no ‘fourth wall’ in between the stage performer and the audience. It is an interactive art form.” Dubin said. “Plus, I always have to be ready for any possibility. An effect can go wrong, or merely something unexpected could happen. There are no limits with live magic.“

Dubin has many illusions which he calls his own, including the ability to conjure a fishbowl from nothing. Despite the hard work, Dubin said he finds performing magic tricks for audiences offer great amounts of cheerfulness.

“Performing magic makes anything possible,” he said. “It’s great to form an idea, put hours and hours of effort into making it a reality, and then perform it for an audience. Magic is a great art form as it can really make people’s days.”

See Danny Dubin perform in “The Magic of Danny Dubin” in the SIS Founders Room on Nov. 11. Admission charge minimum is $5. Doors open at 8 p.m. See the Facebook event for more details.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com