AU Dining’s nutritionist dishes about new food options

With the arrival of Aramark as AU’s dining services provider, Registered Dietitian Jo-Ann Jolly was brought on board to address students’ concerns about nutrition. The Eagle’s Sonia Ledwith sits down with the new hire to talk about vegan food, dealing with allergies and a day in the life of a nutritionist.

Eagle: Can you tell me about your job? What exactly does it entail? Take me through your typical workday.
Jo-Ann Jolly: I work with AU Dining to help any students with nutrition concerns. This involves recipe and menu analysis, one-on-one and group nutritional counseling, and general nutrition and wellness promotion across campus. My typical workdays vary so much, so it would be hard to take you through it.

E: When did you start your job? What made you want to be a nutritionist?
JJ: I started my current position at American University on June 1; however, I have been working as a registered dietitian for over a year. Prior to coming to AU, I worked for Georgetown University. I decided to become a registered dietitian because I have both a strong passion for food and desire to help people.

E: What are you currently working on?
JJ: Currently I’m working on several projects within AU Dining and throughout campus with the Wellness Center, the Rec [Fitness] Center, and Residence Life, so stay tuned. I’m very happy to say that AU Dining partnered with the Wellness Center for Food Day on Oct. 24 to unveil the Wellness Cabana. We celebrated with a healthy, local and sustainable menu and nutrition games.

E: How do you seek to accommodate students’ eating habits across AU’s campus?
JJ: AU Dining is the students’ program, therefore we are driven by your feedback. I usually meet with students individually and discuss any special accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Recently we conducted a focus group for Vegan/Vegetarian students on campus. After listening to their comments, the chefs, staff and I are working closely to ensure that their needs are met both in the TDR and throughout all AU Dining locations.

E: Tell me more about the focus group you conducted with AU vegans and vegetarians. What were their opinions on how their preferences are accommodated, and how are you working to strengthen your vegan and vegetarian accommodations?
JJ: We were very happy with the results that came from the vegan/vegetarian focus groups. Students had a lot of great feedback on how to enhance our program and what they would like to see and we are working very hard to ensure all necessary changes are made. For example, we have added tempeh as a standard item at the deli, and vegan pizza as a standard to the Mediterranean station.

E: I am lactose intolerant, and many of my friends are lactose or gluten intolerant. How do you accommodate these people?
JJ: I regularly meet with students who identify themselves as having food allergies, gluten intolerances or special dietary needs. We review food allergies and preferences and create individualized meal programs for them. All of our menu items are labeled for the eight major allergens and gluten. I review all recipes on the menu, in-service our staff on cross-contamination and ingredients, and ensure that recipes are being followed. This allows for accurate labeling of foods containing wheat, gluten and dairy and all of the other major allergens. We also strive to use as many allergen-free ingredients as possible, and we are constantly reviewing our pantry for any possible alternatives. If any of your friends have specific questions, please feel free to give them my e-mail address and we can set up an appointment.

E: How have you changed the meals offered at TDR and other places to eat on campus?
JJ: I work with the chefs and team throughout all of AU Dining to make sure there are healthy options and that any special dietary needs are accommodated.

E: Should we be expecting anything new on campus (in terms of food) in the near future?
JJ: Recently we added Chloe’s soft-serve to the TDR, which is a healthy, delicious dessert option. We are currently working to find a place for Chloe’s in the Eagle’s Nest.

Students with questions, comments or concerns can reach Jo-Ann Jolly at AUDining@american.edu.

This interview has been edited for length, style and clarity.