Volleyball sweeps Loyola in fourth straight win

The AU volleyball team displayed the dominant form that has led them to first place in the patriot league when they notched their fourth straight win of the season upon defeating the Loyola Greyhounds Oct. 25 in a three set sweep.

This is the first time the Eagles (22-2, 8-1 PL) swept an opponent since their win against Holy Cross on Oct. 4.

The Eagles began the first set on an 11-2 run where junior outside hitter Allison Cappellino notched three straight kills. AU continued this dominant form throughout the set, never letting the Greyhounds ( 5-16, 2-7 PL) reach double digit kills. A kill by junior outside hitter Kristina Lyndiskova sealed the set, 25-9 in favor of the Eagles.

The second set opened with an Eagle score, this time off an ace from junior setter Monica Smidova. A service error by junior middle blocker Megan Rosburg would cut the Eagles lead to 4-3. The teams would exchange scores with AU maintaining a slim two point lead.

Momentum begun to swing in the Eagles favor when they went on a 4-0 run capped off by a Loyola attack error from Loyola’s Jac Bullock to push the lead from 16-9. Even though both teams would swap points, the Eagles held on their lead to take the second set 25-20.

The third set proved to the most competitive of the night. The set began with the Greyhounds jumping out to a 2-0 lead. The Eagles battled back, but Loyola would fight back and after losing its lead would tie the match at seven.

AU separated itself from the Greyhounds by going on a small three point run concluded by a Smidova service ace. The Eagles maintained their lead and increase to as much as seven throughout the match en route to the 25-18 victory.

The Eagles continue conference play Nov. 1 against Bucknell University.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com