‘SOC Spooktacular’ brings Halloween fun to students

School Of Communication ambassadors organized a get together at “SOC Spooktacular” on Oct. 29 with popcorn and a film screening of “Halloweentown.”

“Spooktacular’ is a yearly event that we put on to inspire community among SOC students,” Danage Norwood-Pearson, an SOC student ambassador and junior in the school, said.

The event serves as both a time for entertainment, bonding and recuperation from the hectic midterm season.

“We also have a little down time during the craziness as we’re ending the semester. We just have a lot of things to de-stress.” Norwood-Pearson said.

The “SOC Spooktacular” event, in its third year, allows students to connect with SOC ambassadors, faculty and staff.

The film selected for the night was the 1998 TV Disney movie “Halloweentown,” in which a group of kids go on a stirling adventure with Debbie Reynold’s (“Behind the Candelabra”) to become witches. The film was trending on Twitter some time ago when it was chosen for group viewing.

“It’s very nostalgic and that’s a common theme,” Kelsey Balimtas, a SOC student ambassador, president of AU PRISSA and SOC senior, said. “That’s the best way really to get college students to come out to things; is play on the nostalgia. So we have coloring, tons of candy, and these are things as college students we don’t get that anymore so it’s nice to have little Halloween spirit.”

The popcorn machine was provided by the undergraduate office. Since the SOC does not have a building yet due to construction, it helps to have team building activities in which SOC students can create their own identity.

“You get to see a lot of different students that you wouldn’t normally see you wouldn’t know are in SOC.” Norwood-Pearson said. “When we give out the blue SOC shirts, you’re able to see a lot more students who are in the School of Communication than we thought we really had.”

“SOC Spooktacular” managed to creating a fun event where SOC students can gather and make meaningful connections with each other every year.

“It’s really just fun,” Balimtas said. “So this is just a really great way to get together, watch corny movies and eat some candy corn.”

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com