'Disney on Ice' arrives in the District

Disney on Ice is coming to the District on Oct. 23, and this time around the show’s theme “Let’s Celebrate” centers on international holidays.

Sonia Spence, who portrays Princess Tiana from the animated film “The Princess and the Frog” in Disney on Ice, gave some insight on what to expect from the show.

“It explains different cultures and it covers different segments celebrating international holidays like Japanese holidays, birthdays and so forth,” Spence said.

Spence is on her sixth year with the international show and can relate to college students, having attended college for a year before realizing that the ice was where she belonged.

“I went to school for a year before trying out for the show in my hometown and made it onto the tour,” Spence said.

Spence has skated with Disney on Ice in Europe, Japan, Australia, Southeast Asia and South America. She claims her favorite place to travel was Thailand, where she swam with tigers.

Spence said she will probably hang up her skates and return to school once she is injured, a common practice for more skaters.

Disney on Ice will be in Fairfax from Oct. 23- 27. Tickets can be found on Ticketmaster.