Almost 18 years in the making: AU student pursues acting professionally

Correction appended

Matthew Rubbelke is no stranger to professional theater – or panty hose and corsets, for that matter.

The senior in School of Communication and College of Arts and Sciences recently wore both while performing as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in “The Rocky Horror Show” at AU’s Greenberg Theatre.

“When I was told that I was going to be strutting around in 5-inch heels, clad in a corset and panties, I was so scared,” Rubbelke said. “I just followed the advice that pretty much everyone has ever told me: ‘Fake it ‘til you make it!’”

Rubbelke said he expects this show to be his last at AU, giving him time to finish his capstone next semester. He believes “Rocky Horror” was a satisfying farewell, though.

“It was everything I wanted and more,” Rubbelke said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better group of classmates, crew, creative team and director. I’m so grateful for the opportunity and ready for my next adventure.”

Unlike most college actors, Rubbelke already debuted in professional theater last February when he nabbed the role as a nightclub dancer in “Cabaret” at the Keegan Theater. An AU musical director mentioned his name to the Keegan casting team, who brought Rubbelke in for several callbacks before eventually giving him the part.

Rubbelke performed the same show every night for more than a month, each night’s audiences expecting the same high quality. He strained his vocal cords from the daily exertion and the dancing shoes kept his toes on edge long after each performance.

“I have this issue with over singing and pushing myself past my limits,” Rubbelke said. “In college, you only perform for a weekend. Not that big of a deal.”

Rubbelke said he often had to sneak in homework backstage during the show in order to stay ahead academically.

“I prioritized things,” he said. “I made sure I was always ahead.”

More than a decade of training
Rubbelke first began acting classes at the age of four. A couple years later, his parents enrolled Rubbelke and his siblings in youth theater classes, including musical theater. He immediately fell in love with the craft while his siblings had other ideas.

“I was the only one to really stick with it in my family,” he said.

In sixth grade, Rubbelke applied to perform in a children’s choir for “American Idol” season two runner-up Clay Aiken. He got the part, singing in Aiken’s Phoenix, Ariz. concert at age 12.

In high school, Rubbelke stepped out of the spotlight to play smaller supporting roles during theatre productions, perhaps due to his body size.

“I looked a lot different then,” he said. “I was a lot bigger.”

However, he overcame that in 2009 when he performed as Nicely Nicely Johnson in “Guys and Dolls.”

When the time came to apply to college, Rubbelke didn’t expect to pursue theater as a career.

“I came to AU for international studies,” he said. “I thought I was going to save the world.”

But by sophomore year, Rubbelke knew the abstract theories of international relations were not for him. He then switched to a double major in public communication and musical theater, experimenting in various theater roles for the last two years.

“I’ve been everything from a skinhead to a transvestite,” he said.

Although Rubbelke has retired from his college acting career at AU, he plans to complete straw-hat auditions, traveling around the country by performing in lesser-known cities and venues.

While he does not have a single dream role, Rubbelke said he would relish the opportunity to play the title character “Medea.”

Until then, he is taking inspiration from Broadway actress and theater director Uta Hagen.

“The actor’s job is to learn as much as they can about society, about history, about art, math and science,” he said.

Rubbelke said he hopes his broad education at AU will fulfill that goal as he plans to stay onstage as long as he can, however flamboyant or challenging the roles may be.

“It keeps me young, it keeps me humble,” he said. “My ambition is to be on Broadway.”

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com

A former version of this story stated Rubbelke peformed in Scottsdale, instead of the corrected Phoenix at age 12. It also formerly misidentified the person who mentioned Rubbelke for “Cabaret” as a theater director instead of the corrected musical director.