Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren in “The Conjuring.”

13 horror movies to watch this Halloweekend

With Halloween upon us, not everyone has an affinity for walking around neighborhoods for two hours collecting free candy.

For those who would rather stay in and binge on easily acquired candy, here’s a list of 13 essential horror films that won’t leave a sour aftertaste.

1. Alien (1979)
Ridley Scott’s (“Prometheus”) classic space tale about the roughneck crew of the Nostromo remains one of the most mesmerizing body horror films of cinema history. Sigourney Weaver (“The Cabin in the Woods”) cements her image as a strong-willed heroine playing the gruff, iconic Ripley as she fights against a nasty alien with a proclivity to pop out of peoples’ stomachs and scuttle around vents.

2. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Following two backpacking American men as they traverse the English countryside, “An American Werewolf in London” delves into one man’s transformation into a werewolf. His transformations cause him to maul and maim anyone who might be unfortunate enough to catch him in his beastly form, making “An American Werewolf in London” a true classic in horror cinema.

3. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
“The Cabin in the Woods” is a deconstructive fantasy in which Drew Goddard (“Cloverfield”) and Joss Whedon (“Serenity”) take horror genre cliches and tropes and flip them on their head. Five kids go up to a cabin in the woods where they are closely watched by a shadow organization and eventually manipulated into releasing creatures that try to terminate them. Often claimed by Whedon as a “loving hate letter” to horror, you’ll never look at elevators the same way again.

4. Audition (1999)
Body horror, some wire and a cloth bag is what makes Takashi Miike’s “Audition” absolutely terrifying. Miike’s film is a taut thriller about gruesome decapitations and horrible means of torture. Akin to Rob Reiner’s “Misery,” this insular film is definite must watch for a Halloween horror marathon.

5. Evil Dead 2 (1987)
When the success of the first “Evil Dead” became a runaway hit, Raimi and co-writer Scott Spiegel (“Spider Man 2”) centered the second movie on the charismatic and wise cracking Ash, played by Bruce Campbell (“Burn Notice”). Making use of the higher production budgets, Raimi created a truly disturbing film.

6. The Conjuring (2013)
This story about witchcraft, apparitions and sacrifices in sleepy suburbia America will keep you up at night. James Wan’s (“Insidious : Chapter 2”) “The Conjuring” remains one of the most impressive films in both Wan’s filmography and one of the most impressive horror films in recent memory.

7. The Exorcist (1973)
Nearing its 40th anniversary, William Friedkin’s “The Exorcist” still retains a hefty amount of cultural significance along with films such as “Rosemary’s Baby” and “The Omen.” Laying its scene in Georgetown, this film tells the story of Regan MacNeil’s (Linda Blair, “Hell Night”) unfortunate possession by a devil. Soon Father Merrin (Max Von Sydow, “The Seventh Seal”) and Father Damien (Jason Miller, “the Devil’s Advocate”) are called to excise the demon that has made its home inside of young Regan. With this film, William Peter Blatty, who adapted his own novel for the screen, was able to not only unsettle, but question the fabric of faith and belief.

8. Suspiria (1977)
Dario Argento’s “Suspiria” leaves the sense of creeping fear, but in an enjoyable fashion. Centering on an aspiring dancer who goes to a conservatory to study, the main character suddenly finds herself in the midst of strange paranormal events. “Suspira” is unsettlingly colourful with its animated quality and vivid hues of blue and reds throughout. Nonetheless, “Suspira” remains a solid choice for those looking for a chilling good time.

9. Halloween (1978)
For a film that’s about a psychopath who goes back to the town where he first killed, “Halloween” is surprisingly graceful. John Carpenter (“They Live”) beautifully constructs scenes with such minimalism, that it adds a sense of eeriness. Never has the feeling of dread been conveyed so well as in “Halloween.”

10. The House of the Devil (2009)
For anyone looking to cap a night of new horror, TI West’s “The House of the Devil” is a film that is sure to be a delectable treat. Although it didn’t have much traction outside of a limited theatrical release, this haunted house tale is fashioned like a true classic in the vein of “Psycho “meeting “The Changeling.”

11. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
One of Wes Craven’s (“Scream”) most enduring creations has been the terrorizer of dreams in “A Nightmare on Elm Street:” Freddy Krueger. Robert Englund (“Freddy vs Jason”), who played the character and dons a glove with knives, managing to shock and thrill with his deep guttural voice and stripped tattered sweater. Kreuger was violent, but he had a comic streak as one of the more chatty villains in the genre.

12. The Omen (1976)
One can seldom go wrong with evincing the fear of children for horror stories. Richard Donner’s “The Omen” stands as one of the most unsettling cinema experiences of the 70s. Notable for Gregory Peck’s (“To Kill a Mockingbird”) affecting and down-to-earth portrayal of American ambassador Robert Thorn, “The Omen” should be a staple in your Halloween movie roster.

13. Trick R’ Treat (2007)
Produced by Bryan Singer (“X-Men”) and directed by frequent collaborator Michael Dougherty, the anthology “Trick R’ Treat” comes in at a slender 82 minutes, but is immensely enjoyable. The town principal has a deadly habit of killing his victims and using their dismembered parts as a bonding mechanism with his son. The town’s urban legend of a group of school kids chained to their seats as the bus driver sends them over the cliff and much more, “Trick r’ Treat” is an absolute killer in the genre.

dkahen-kashi@theeagleonline.com