Adrian Fernandez (left) and Devan Joseph (right) share notes while working together.

Two AU students create new web series

Correction appended

Two AU film majors will soon launch a humorous web series about the trial and tribulations of campus security.

“It tells the day-to-day, in-and-out of campus security,” creator Adrian Fernandez said, comparing the show to “Cops” and “Reno 911.”

Fernandez, a School of Communication junior, came up with the idea over the summer and asked SOC senior Devan Joseph to help.

“I love his sense of humor,” Joseph said. “He did some incredible vines over the summer.”

The duo is currently casting the series, which will consist of 5-7 minute episodes with a total of four to five shows.

Characters include an ambitious AU meter maid, a wacky sidekick, a police chief and a crazy girlfriend.

“The world we’ve created is pretty off-kilter so we’re looking for people willing to jump into that,” Joseph said.

They hope to film at several different locations on campus, including the interior of the library, but they’re still in the process of acquiring permits.

Fernandez and Joseph first became interested in film as children.

When Joseph was six years old, he used to film “episodes” of “The Devan Joseph Show” on his video camera, a gift from his dad.

“It started with me wanting to be on camera,” he said.

Meanwhile, Fernandez knew he wanted to pursue filmmaking from a young age.

“I’ve always liked entertainment,” he said. “I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but now I know want I to write.”

As a Film and Media Arts major at AU, Joseph hopes to use his degree to direct and produce music videos upon graduation. Fernandez said he would like to pursue pre-production after completing his degree.

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com

Correction: A former version of this story said Fernandez would graduate this May. It has been corrected to indicate that Fernandez is graduating next year.