AU goalie Billy Knutsen made two saves in the Eagles 2-2 draw against Denver

Men’s soccer plays to a draw against Denver

The AU men’s soccer team bounced back after Friday’s loss with a 2-2 tie against the Denver Pioneers at Jacobs Field on Sept. 8.

The Pioneers controlled the ball for most of the first half, scoring early on a free kick in the 7th minute off the foot of Cole Chapleski.

As the half was coming to a close, AU gained momentum. Senior Patrick Mehlert scored his first goal of the season in the 33rd minute, assisted by Freshman Dale Ludwig and Junior Conor Osborne.

During the second half, the Eagles began to push down field, collecting five shots on goal. The pressure paid off as Senior Cristobal Soto scored his second goal of the season. The goal came off a penalty kick in the 68th minute.

The Pioneers answered right back in the 70th with a goal headed in by Reid Hukari.

Leading into overtime, there were plenty of close calls on both sides of the field but neither team could close the deal. AU had many opportunities to score but could not get the ball inside of the net as two shots on goal went wide.

The Pioneers collected four fouls against them in overtime, much to head coach Bobby Muuss displeasure. Both Muuss and AU Head Coach Todd West were visibility irritated by the officiating team, but only Denver’s head coach earned a yellow card.

By the end of overtime, Eagles and Pioneers had almost identical numbers for shots, saves and corner kicks.

West stated after the game he was “pleased with the effort”. He praised his players’ versatility and ability to adapt.

The Eagles head on the road the next two games with the next game at Hartford on Sept. 13.