D.C. United loses 2-1 to New England Revolution

D.C. United lost to the New England Revolution 2-1 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. on Sept. 21.

The loss extended United’s winless streak to seven games just a few weeks before
the U.S. Open Cup Final.

D.C. United scored their lone goal 11 minutes into the match. But as the first half progressed, New England took control.

As the second half started, D.C. United was back in the game, but New England was still pushing forward and turning up the pressure.

In the 55th minute, United defender Dejan Jakovic brought down Revolution forward Lee Nguyen inside the box and the referee awarded a penalty. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid saved Nguyen’s penalty kick.

One minute later, Revolution striker Saer Sene played a ball into the box to Diego Fagundez who beat Hamid for the equalizer.

After a lengthy stretch of play in which New England’s attack cooled down and United tried to go forward without much success, United head coach Ben Olsen brought on forward Conor Doyle, who had D.C.’s best chance of the game.

In the 81st minute, Doyle broke through the Revolution defense, and only had keeper Matt Reis to beat. Reis came out of goal and charged at Doyle, who chipped the ball at goal and over Reis. Reis was able to get back and deflect the ball away before it crossed the line and United was unlucky not to take the lead.

Moments later, in the 82nd minute, United midfielder Lewis Neal brought Nguyen down harshly in the box in a much clearer and deserved penalty than the earlier instance.

Nguyen stepped up to take the penalty for the second time, and Hamid dove to the right, but Nguyen chipped the ball towards the middle of the goal, beating Hamid easily and giving New England the lead. United couldn’t find an equalizer and the game finished 2-1.

D.C. United will stay on the road for their next match, facing Toronto FC at BMO Field on Sept. 28.