AU Players gearing up for a vibrant season of change

The AU Players, one of AU’s two theatre organizations entirely run by students, has scheduled a diverse new season of theatre productions ranging from absurdist comedy to political drama.

Madeline Steiner, the Players’ artistic director, said students involved with the players
can look forward to getting involved in all aspects of the theatrical process, from writing and directing to design and stage management.

“We try to give students opportunities they might not get,” she said.

In a new twist this year, the Players’ three productions will be unified by a common theme: change. Once the Players announced the theme, interested students submitted directing proposals throughout the spring, and the Players narrowed down the contenders to the three shows scheduled for production this fall.

Here’s a look at the AU Players’ fall schedule.

“Six Characters in Search of a Director”
Director: Claire Tietze (sophomore, College of Arts and Sciences )
Performance Dates: Oct. 3-5
Auditions: Sept. 3-4
Venue: TBA

Based on a 1920s Italian play, “Six Characters and a Story” defies easy description, according to Steiner. Nonetheless, she calls it an “absurdist comical farce” and a play within a play.
“Characters appear to have stepped out from the page to interact with the director,” she said.
Audiences who crave meta should have plenty to chew on during this play.

“Ourselves Alone”
Author: Anne Devlin
Director: Ryan Anderson (senior, School of International Service/School of Public Affairs)
Performance Dates: Nov. 22-23
Venue: Katzen Studio Theatre
Audition Dates: TBA

In this fall’s drama slot, Devlin’s “Ourselves Alone” takes its name from the English translation of the Irish Republican Party, Sinn Fein. The show follows three women as they navigate the perilous political atmosphere and try to find solace in an increasingly complex world. This play should satisfy audiences with historical and political interests.

“Songs I Shouldn’t Sing”: The 6
Director: Paul Lysek
Performance Dates: Dec. 5-7th
Annual Musical Theatre Cabaret
Venue: TBA
Audition Dates: TBA

Each year, the AU Players end the semester on a high note with a lively musical showcase. In keeping with the semester’s theme, this year’s show will allow students opportunities to perform popular, well-known theatrical songs in nontraditional ways. While the Players haven’t worked out the full details just yet, Steiner teases “gender-bending” and other alterations for a night of musical experimentation.

mlieberman@theeagleonline.com