Job interview advice you can actually use

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…
No, not the holidays- the fall job searching season. Your first impressions at an interview can be the deciding factor in whether or not you land the position, so take a minute to brush up on your interview skills.

1. Prepare for the interview
Being prepared is the first step to a successful interview, according to career advisers John O’Neill and Felicia Parks. O’Neill works in the Kogod Center for Career Development while Parks advises in AU’s Career Center.

Compiling a checklist of items you may need will help you to prepare. Reminders may include bringing a list of references and copies of your resume.
Know as much as you can about what the job entails and look up recent developments within the company.

“Strong candidates have knowledge of the organization which is demonstrated by their research and through their questions,” Parks said. “Ideally, this involves looking past the main website page of the company.”

2. Plan ahead to avoid stress
Being nervous is natural, but you should try to eliminate any stress inducers that you can. Arriving early with plenty of time to compose yourself will help calm your nerves, O’Neill said.

If you normally stress about misplaced or lost items, stay organized. Lay out out your outfit, your SmartTrip card and other things you need the night before.

*3. Try not to ramble *
It’s very easy to veer off subject when asked about your general experiences. Keep in mind your answers should demonstrate your relevant skills.

Also remember to discuss your past experiences in a professional manner, so avoid talking poorly about a past employer, Parks said.

4. Show some enthusiasm!
“People forget to demonstrate that they’re motivated for the job, that you actually want to do it,” O’Neill said.

Enthusiasm can be shown through posture, attentiveness and responses. O’Neill recommends taking notes during your interview.

Overall, you must be genuine. If you want the job, the interviewer will be able to see that in your answers and engagement.

5. Practice, practice, practice
A common mistake is walking into the interview without any practice or preparation. Peer consultants and career advisors can serve as an excellent resource in preparing you by simulating interviews and reviewing resumes.

Bonus Tip: Don’t Leave an Interview Without Knowing the Next Step
At the end of your interview, it’s your turn to ask questions. Make sure you inquire about the work environment and your role within the company, but don’t forget to ask what happens next, O’Neill said.

How long are you expected to wait for a response? Will there be an orientation period? How long will that last? How will they contact you? When? It’s nice to not have to wait with bated breath, refreshing your email inbox as you wait for their response.