Portland continues United's winless streak

The Portland Timbers (5-1-7) extended D.C. United's (1-9-2) winless streak to 10 straight, equaling a franchise worst, after a 2-0 victory May 25 in the nation's capital.

Portland, with the easy win, extended its franchise-best unbeaten streak to 11 straight games. D.C. United's mighty struggles continued in front of over 14,000 RFK Stadium spectators.

Portland's player of the game was forward Rodney Wallace, who started his career with D.C. United, and felt right at home against his former club leading the Timbers and scoring the eventual game-winner.

When the current form began to take shape earlier in the season, D.C. United head coach Ben Olsen vowed to make drastic changes in order to turn around what has turned into a disaster of a season.

He made four significant changes to the lineup Saturday, which included starting forward Carlos Ruiz and leaving Dwayne De Rosario out of the starting lineup and on the bench.

After the game, De Rosario told to dcunited.com, "surprised is not the word."

When the first half kicked off, it looked as if D.C. United's resilience, which has re-surfaced in the last few games, would propel it to a promising performance.

Then, Portland got hold of the ball and started to dictate play.

Portland has devoted a large part of its game plan this season to controlling possession, resulting in scoring chances.

Saturday's game was no different.

The Timbers have scored 22 goals this season already, two behind what they totaled in all of 2012. Portland remains the only team without a road loss this season.

In the 21st minute, Timbers forward Wallace controlled a powerful pass on his left foot before smashing the ball from 10 yards out, beating D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid into the top-left corner and putting Portland up 1-0.

D.C. United had a decent chance, one of just two shots in the entire game, in the 51st minute. Kyle Porter, coming off scoring his very first MLS goal last week, met a nice cross with his head but placed the ball just wide of the net.

Six minutes later, the Timbers doubled their advantage when Ryan Johnson played a ball over D.C. United's backline. The ball found Darlington Nagbe, who drove a shot under Hamid and into the back of the net.

A late D.C. United appeal for a penalty was ignored, and the Black-and-Red failed to create any substantial chances for the remainder of the game. It was another disappointing performance from a team that last year was one game from the final.

In his postgame remarks Olsen said he was disgusted, speaking with dcunited.com.

"It's embarrassing how soft we are, everywhere around the field," he said.

For a man that usually has answers, Olsen seems lost as for what to do.

Sitting now at the bottom of the MLS, there is major room for improvement. Injuries have plagued the season so far along with poor overall play.

"We're going to get new guys in here because we are not good enough," Olsen told to DC.United.com . "It seems like we are always a player or two short."

Whatever D.C. United choose to do, they must do it soon, and they can surely put some fuel back in the fire with an impressive performance midweek against their USL PRO affiliate Richmond Kickers in the U.S. Open Cup.

United's next MLS game will be against the Chicago Fire June 2 at 5 p.m.