Shadburn campaign apologies for controversial Facebook post

David Shadburn's Student Government presidential campaign apologized on April 2 about a Facebook status that violated a rule prohibiting slanderous posts online.

A member of the executive board of Students for D.C. Statehood made the comment posted on Facebook: "I am choosing David Shadburn because he is not in SG & He hasn't slept with anyone in SG."

All parties, including Shadburn's campaign and the target of the post, agreed during mediation that Shadburn would release a public apology for the comment. A statement was released after the mediation on April 2 on Shadburn's campaign's Facebook page.

"We deeply regret that a so far positive campaign has been tarnished by this incident," the statement read. "We apologize to all parties involved for this very unfortunate action."

Students for D.C. Statehood endorsed Shadburn, so its executive members are considered an extension of Shadburn's campaign under Board of Elections regulations, according to Shadburn's chief of staff, Harry Weiss.

However, Weiss said the person who made the status did not know about the regulation and was not aware of speaking as a part of the campaign.

"It [the post] doesn't mirror any of the views of any of the campaign team," Weiss said. "We were horrified."

cjohnson@theeagleonline.com