SG pulls from savings for next year’s budget

The Undergraduate Senate voted unanimously April 7 to pull $8,000 from the Student Government’s current savings for next year’s spending.

“[The savings] is not really the most efficient use of that money,” Chairman of the Special Committee on Finance Brett Atanasio said.

The $8,000 will increase the projected budget to $656,000 for 2014, which will be approved on April 14. This will increase funds provided to SG departments such as the Kennedy Political Union and the Student Union Board, which bring speakers and performers to campus.

The Student Government Budget is comprised of two parts: the money spent on SG departments and initiatives and savings, which previously held about $25,000 for emergencies, according to Atanasio. Atanasio wrote the bill with Kogod School of Business Sen. Heidi Friedrich.

In the past, budget “emergencies” have included the unplanned costs incurred when the Student Union Board brought Cee Lo Green as a performer. The restricted budget savings account allows SG to cover unexpected costs like these, preventing future emergencies.

cjohnson@theeagleonline.com