Lacrosse season ends in heartbreaking loss to Holy Cross in Patriot League semifinal

The Eagle lacrosse team was unable to overcome an early first half deficit as its season came to an end April 26 in a 8-7 loss to the Holy Cross Crusaders (9-9, 3-3 PL).

Holy Cross exploded out of the gate, with Sara Hennessey scoring three goals within the first eight minutes of the game. Kat Sutton and Laura Ryan scored a goal apiece following Hennessey’s hat trick, putting the score at 5-0 in Holy Cross’s favor.

Alex Lugovina and Emily Maher were each able to score for the Eagles before the end of the first half, and the score stood at 5-2 at halftime.

AU (8-10, 5-1 PL) came out of halftime with a clear sense of urgency, with Kimberly Collins scoring once and Lugovina scoring twice to knot the score at 5-5.

After both teams traded goals to put the score at 6-6, Holy Cross’s Ryan and Taylor Zebrowski each scored to give the Crusaders a two-goal lead.

Collins was able to score with just under four minutes to go in the game to put AU within one point, but the Eagles could not score again, and the Crusaders pulled out the win.

Lugovina led AU with three goals. Collins chipped in with two goals and one assist. Goalie Teal Harrison added four saves, while Olivia Mangan collected two ground balls.

Hennessey led the Crusaders with three goals. Goalie Sarah Weber added four saves, and Corinne Caracausa collected two ground balls for the team.

Even though the Eagles lost, the 2013 season was a memorable one. Harrison was named PL Rookie of the Year. Collins, Laura Dawson and Maher were named to the First Team All Patriot League Team, while Harrison and Samantha Marshall earned Second Team honors.

The Eagles had their best season in five years, and their returning players and coaching staff puts the team in a great position for the 2014 season.