Tenleytown ANC chairman announces campaign for city council seat

Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E chairman Matthew Frumin, who represents Tenleytown and Friendship Heights, launched his campaign for a vacant city council seat in a special election slated for April 23.

Frumin recently played an active role in negotiations among AU officials and community leaders to help pass the expansion of Tenley Campus.

Frumin is running for the seat that will be vacated by D.C. Councilmember Phil Mendelson, who will become the new Council chairman this month following Chairman Kwame Brown’s resignation last year.

The local politician is one of the first candidates to launch his campaign in a crowded race. As of Jan. 3, 14 other people had announced their bid for the fifth at-large seat, according to the District of Columbia Board of Elections & Ethics.

Contenders include former at-large candidates Michael A. Brown, A.J. Cooper and Patrick Mara, who all will have a second chance to win a Council position after losing to independent David Grosso this past November.

Despite the competition, Frumin remains confident in his campaign.

“I’ve been very active on lots of issues,” he said, citing his advocacy on development and transportation.

Education will also be top priority for Frumin if elected. The former Bill Clinton staffer helped modernize Woodrow Wilson High School and wants to expand resources for underprivileged students across the district.

“We need to replicate the success in parts of the city throughout the city,” he said.

Frumin, who ran for Congress in his home state of Michigan in 2000, hopes his leadership capability will give him an edge in the race.

“I have experience on many of the key issues that confront our city,” he said.

lsandoval@theeagleonline.com