Nine Eagle runners finish in top 10 at Patriot Games

Following up on their strong outing last week at the Terrapin Invitational, the AU track and field team posted nine top-10 finishers Jan. 26 at the George Mason Patriot Games.?

Mark Leininger set the pace for the Eagles placing second in the mile run with a time of 4:15.78. Leininger’s time was almost four and half seconds better than his time last week at the Terrapin Invitational which saw him finish fourth in the mile race.?

His teammate Mark Allen finished just behind Leininger in third, coming with a time of 4:16.60.?

John Pope and Nick Regan placed sixth and ninth respectively, to round out the top 10 finishers.?

Constantine Matsakis led all Eagle runners and posted a personal best time of 8:36.84 good for second place in the 3,000 meter run. David McCombs also posted fifth in the event with a time of 8:40.36. The Eagles took the final two spots in the top-10 as Ian Lutz’s time of 8:43.91 was good for ninth and Tom Woermer’s placed 10th finishing in 8:45.74.

?In the 800 meter run, David Hamilton placed sixth with a time of 1:59.69. Max Hamilton’s time of 2:41.50 gave him 10th place in the 1,000-meter run.

?On the women’s side, Kelseagh Budris finished 14 out of 19 runners in the 1,000-meter run with a time of 3:13.66. While Krystal Foster responded with a 14th place finish of her own in the 3,000-meter run, completing the race at the 10:37.92 mark.?

Three two-sport athletes set AU records at the Patriot Games. Volleyball players Julie Crum and Allison Cappellino posted the ninth-fastest time in school history in the 60-meter dash. In the 200-meter dash Isabel Terwindt of the Field Hockey team recorded the ninth best time in program history with a time of 28.34.

?The Eagles will be back in action Feb .1 and Feb.2 at the New Balance Invitational in New York, N.Y.??

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com