Men's basketball snaps losing streak with 72-49 victory over Navy

Correction appended

The AU men’s basketball team snapped their two-game losing streak with a 72-49 victory over the Navy Jan. 23 at Bender Arena.

The player of the game was John Schoof, who scored the first basket of the game and would lead both teams in scoring with a career best 27 points. Schoof did most of his damage from behind the arc going an astounding 8-of-10, one shy of the AU all-time three pointers scored record. He also chipped in four rebounds and four assists.

AU would never relinquish the lead after the initial bucket by Schoof. Even though Navy would make it a two-point game with 7:57 left in the first half, the Eagles would lead by as many as 12 in the first half and enter the break winning 33-23.

Stephen Lumpkins had another strong performance, posting 17 points including 9-of-11 from the free throw line to go along with nine rebounds.

In the second half, the Eagles dominated the Midshipmen. Schoof nailed a three at the 10:02 mark in the second half to give the Eagles a 22-point lead, the second largest lead of the night. The Eagles would maintain a comfortable margin for the remainder of the game en route to the victory.

The Eagles led Navy in almost all statistical categories. AU was particularly dominant down low, out rebounding the Midshipmen 44 to 29, while scoring 22 points in the paint compared to Navy’s 18. The Eagles also benefited from 18 second-chance points compared to seven for Navy.

Tony Wroblicky was a force in the paint grabbing a game-high 11 rebounds and nine points. Blake Jolivette led the Eagles with six assists.

The Eagles are back in action Jan. 26 when they travel to West Point to take on Army before returning to Bender to face off against Patriot League-leading Bucknell.

Correction appended: Schoof was originally misnamed "Josh."

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com