Beloved TDR employee remembered by AU community

Terrace Dining Room employee Shirley Epps passed away on Jan. 18 at the age of 75. She had been working at the University for 48 years.

Epps was dedicated to her job and her community. She had no children, but was an active member of her church and the Northern Virginia Baptist Association.

She was also a singer and frequently used her talents at AU events, including memorial services for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., The Eagle previously reported.

She was a leader in a 1974 memorial service, led by chaplains and other campus employees, in honor of what would have been King’s 45th birthday. Epps also directed the music at the service, singing both by herself and with a group. Some of the music included one of King’s favorite songs, “If I Could Help Somebody.”

Friends and loved ones sang the same song to celebrate Epps’ life on Jan. 26 at First Mount Zion Baptist Church in Dumfries, Va. School of Communication Professor Sarah Menke-Fish spoke at the homegoing service.

“She was a really remarkable lady, and loved by all,” Menke-Fish said. “That was apparent.”

AU was represented at the service by about 25 people, including other faculty and staff, according to Menke-Fish. The service highlighted for many Epps’ enduring service at the school.

“I had no idea that she had been working here for almost 48 years. I was a little girl when she started working,” Menke-Fish said. “She really dedicated her life to American University.”